March 22, 2009

DIY: Decopatch/Decoupage Tutorial

I finally had some spare time to do this project and take some pictures to put a tutorial together. Between this and the serviette technique, I'd have to pick this one as my favorite, even though it's more time consuming. While they both look effective, decopatch gives you a lot more options in terms of motifs and places you can apply it to. So, here it goes!

Decopatch is an effective technique you can apply to almost any flat surface, including wood, glass, plastic, porcelain.

What you need:
  • Decopatch paper
  • Decopatch glue and lacquer. I used Marabu's products

  • Craft knife

  • Scissors

  • Soft, flat-tipped brush

  • A bowl with water

  • Paper towels

  • The object you want decorated (I used the wooden box where I keep my plant seeds)

Here, too, you can apply special varnish if you want to change the color of the object you are decorating to better match the motif. I left the box as it is, though.

1. Using the craft knife, carefully cut out the desired motif/s.


2. Dip motif in the water for a few seconds.

3. Pat dry using paper towels.

4. Using brush, apply glue to the back of the motif.


5. Now place motif on the object and carefully smooth it out with your fingers.


6. Apply glue to the face of the motif.


7. Repeat if you have more motifs you are placing. Allow to dry.

8. Once glue is dry, apply laquer. When first coat of laquer is dry, apply one more.

NOTES:
  • You should apply 2 to 4 coats of laquer, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next one.
  • I will post pictures of the box once I've applied 2 coats of the lacquer.
Hope you have enjoyed the tutorial!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

Heart in the country said...

Love the pictures you've used on your box Evy.

Evy said...

Thank you! I'm glad you like them. I wanted to add more color to the seed box, but I think the pictures I have currently will do. As promised, I'll post a picture of the finished product today.

Vanessa 2010 said...

So cute! Nice blog!

lighttrigger.blogspot.com